Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Go Ahead and Dance

She has the best smile. She might be missing a couple of teeth but that doesn't stop her ear to ear grin. 

Her husband after falling from 2 floors on a job site was left on disability. One of her four children was born with a hole in her heart and has had 4 open heart surgeries in the first 5 years of her life. I remembered the day she bought coke with her last dinar and borrowed a tray from the neighbor to serve it to me... 

She got out a large speaker and tied a scarf around her waist. It was time to start dancing before her kids got back from school! She was quite good, knowing just when to shake and pop. It wasn’t the first time I’d seen a burdened woman cast off the troubles of her life for a few minutes when the living room became a dance floor. 

I could dance and put a smile on my face, but my own heart was troubled by its petty concerns. They weren’t going to shake off to the loud Arabic music. But maybe watching her laugh and out of her poverty cook lunch for Peter and I was a bit of the medicine I needed. 

“Humble yourselves, therefore, under God’s mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time. Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.” 1 Peter 5:6-7

No comments:

Post a Comment