Sunday, April 7, 2019

My key


Friday afternoon heading off to another city for 5 days of translation work for a group from America, I stepped into the shade of a small bus stop in front of the Roman fort down the road from my home. I greeted an older German couple standing there and found out they were looking for a taxi. “Oh, there are no taxis in this city I remarked, but I can call a friend for you.” My neighbor’s dad was already on his way before I realized that after going to our oasis reserve they wanted to catch the bus back to the main city. “Being Friday (the holy day), the last bus will be in about a half an hour. You won’t have time to make it to the reserve and catch the bus.” Pulling out my keys I said, “But, you can stay at my place.” Snapping a picture of herGerman phone number on her contact screen, I explained to Zeid where to take them and that he was then to return them to my home. 



Haha he thought they were friends of mine. I guess they are now! They left a note on my bed offering me a place to stay whenever I find myself in Germany. 


My Egyptian roommate, only guessing at what was going on in English, once on the bus asked me if this was a common practice in the States to give out the key to your house. Quite the opposite I responded this practice I have learned from the generosity of Arabs, but don’t worry we have our passports and phones. I don’t think an old couple would come from Germany to steal two girls clothes.


Yikes should have told them they would be sleeping on the floor!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment