Two
and a half months, I've been looking out the window at piles of trash.
Everyday, walking by the coke bottles, cigarette packs, old shoes, and
chips bags planning to do something about it one day.
On
this particular Friday morning, I put up my hair, dressed accordingly,
wrapped my hands in plastic bags and began picking up piece after piece
of trash.
Picking up a big piece only to find under it many smaller pieces.
As
I worked and others passed by, I wished that someone would stop and
lend a hand. I thought that the working together may be even nicer than
the trash disappearing on it's own.
Despite
filling up two large barrels of trash, I feared that non would notice the work of my hands.
There was still so much trash why lift a finger to move any of it.
This chore made me contemplates it's similarities to our spiritual life. Month after month, year after year, I stare at the rubbish in my soul knowing I must do something even making plans if only that someday would come. When you do finally get suited up for the work, a little cleaning only shows how much more there is to dig out. As much as we would like a magic wand to be waved and find our sanctification complete, I considered the beauty of the role of relationships as we journey together in knowing God and being transformed into his image. Whether others notice or not we are called to "...pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:11-12
May we be willing to role up our sleeves and get to work not only for the sake of our own lives but also for the sake of those lives around us.
Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. Daniel 12:3
This chore made me contemplates it's similarities to our spiritual life. Month after month, year after year, I stare at the rubbish in my soul knowing I must do something even making plans if only that someday would come. When you do finally get suited up for the work, a little cleaning only shows how much more there is to dig out. As much as we would like a magic wand to be waved and find our sanctification complete, I considered the beauty of the role of relationships as we journey together in knowing God and being transformed into his image. Whether others notice or not we are called to "...pursue righteousness, godliness, faith, love, endurance and gentleness. Fight the good fight of the faith. Take hold of the eternal life to which you were called when you made your good confession in the presence of many witnesses." 1 Timothy 6:11-12
May we be willing to role up our sleeves and get to work not only for the sake of our own lives but also for the sake of those lives around us.
Those who are wise will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. Daniel 12:3



No comments:
Post a Comment