Saturday, March 24, 2018

Gratitued in Simplicity


 Joy comes from gratitude. When you can look around and find your cup overflowing, it's an amazing thing!
When you've always had a goal of traveling lightly from place to place, you smile when you find yourself moving into an empty 2 bedroom apartment with just a backpack for the first week.

“Take nothing for your journey, no staff, nor bag, nor bread, nor money; and do not have two tunics. And whatever house you enter, stay there, and from there depart. Luke 9:3-4


  You stretch out contentedly when your neighbor gives you 2 sponges and 3 blankets. 

Oh for us all to experience the truth of these words: "Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me." Philippians 4:11-13


When snacks get passed out in the refugee camp, I haven't seen any of the children get more excited than I am when I get a box :D


  Laughing when you bought soap and a sponge but don't even have any dishes. 

 
 Oh the comfort for your feet, when you get a rug.


 The joy when you are surrounded by 8 students on the second week of English classes from your home.


 You know you are blessed upon finding you clean laundry hanging downstairs, when your neighbor did all the work.


I may be surrounded by the desert, but the name of my city is "Blue" after the oasis that used to exist here and I still find beautiful nature. 

"Then shall the trees of the forest sing for joy before the Lord, for he comes to judge the earth.Oh give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! 1 Chronicles 16:33-34


When your heart bursts forth like a flame as you sit around a fire with your neighbors eating and discussing the nature of the One who made it all.  


 Elated, when you have plates of cookies and are you ready to go out and meet the neighbors.

And her neighbors and relatives heard that the Lord had shown great mercy to her, and they rejoiced with her. Luke 1:58
 

  
Celebrating 1 month with a trip the McDonald's during a visa run in a bigger city. It's the little things in life. 


 Making friends with the McDonald's waitress who then gives you her daily portion of free ice cream. It's the big things in life! 


 Feeling at home with the lights and pictures hung. 


 Rejoicing when your old roommates come for a visit helping you start your home even with your favorite color hand towel.

 The simplicity of waving to 4 neighbor children from your window and knowing all their names. It's gratitude. 

 Rejoice in the Lord always; again I will say, rejoice. Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand;  do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God.  And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:4-7


No comments:

Post a Comment