Over a year ago on a trip to the library with four kids in toe, I overheard a woman speaking Arabic after a couple of passes I considered extending a greeting worth the awkwardness. I tried to reason that here I was on ministry with these kids there was no need to look for more.
The woman returned the friendly hello and informed me she had been in the States only about 6 months. I jotted down my name and number on a scrap of paper and handed it to her letting know I was here if she ever needed anything.
A few months later I got a call, she needed a tutor for her son. I connected her with a lady from my church who began tutoring her son shortly after I reluctantly agreed to help her and her husband with their English.
Another 6 months passed and though my private lessons for them had ended the relationship remained and she called me crying. She had just been diagnosed with breast cancer.
It moved me that she who had been just a stranger in the library now made one of her first calls of diagnoses to me just a stranger in the library.
What stranger will I pass by today? When God has called me to be a friend.
Please pray for my friend Tanya!
The woman returned the friendly hello and informed me she had been in the States only about 6 months. I jotted down my name and number on a scrap of paper and handed it to her letting know I was here if she ever needed anything.
A few months later I got a call, she needed a tutor for her son. I connected her with a lady from my church who began tutoring her son shortly after I reluctantly agreed to help her and her husband with their English.
Another 6 months passed and though my private lessons for them had ended the relationship remained and she called me crying. She had just been diagnosed with breast cancer.
It moved me that she who had been just a stranger in the library now made one of her first calls of diagnoses to me just a stranger in the library.
What stranger will I pass by today? When God has called me to be a friend.
Please pray for my friend Tanya!

No comments:
Post a Comment