Saturday, April 29, 2017

Little Things



It’s the small things in life like buying a black leotard, pink ballet slippers and watching Weaam walk into her first dance class. As I sit in the waiting room, with the other mother’s I smile to myself. Weaam is mine but by a different right. Investments in individuals is what causes a dance to begin.   



Holding my student’s dark hand as she grips her pencil, I glide it across the paper forming her name. Though she is an adult, she can probably count how many times she has held a pencil. Now, here she sits in my home city learning to read and write for the first time and it is my language. 

While it’s not the city of 7 million I lived in for a year and a half overseas, I was excited to be taking a new job on Church Street in the heart of downtown! With its tall buildings, waterways, and bridges there is a sense of familiarity and opportunity. One thing I may never grow accustomed to, nor do I wish to, is the group of 8+ homeless individuals outside the Shell gas station at 8:15 each morning.




Thursday night I role in tired and drained to meet with a few other young people and pour over the word, and I remember the Father is at work in each of us individually.  

Friday night without fail they gather and pray an eclectic group who bless my soul with their united passion and purpose. 

I would consider them acquaintances, friends of friends, but when my friend asked me why I hadn’t visited his friend in the hospital I pledged to go. While sitting in the hospital room, with a man and a wife I barely knew I nodded because I had been reminded it’s all about relationships and showing love. 

It’s those Sunday mornings when you sing a song that stirs you to worship in a way that would almost make a “PCA”er raise her hands.

Memories are made on river trips where you take 2 cars loads of people who mostly don’t swim, life jacket them up, push their rafts off, and jump in behind them spending the next hour swimming, dragging, and convincing any of the daring children to give the ice cold spring water a try with you. 

I went over to quiz Nagwa on her 100 citizenship questions and was so proud when she began spitting out the answers like a recording. She may not know what many of them mean, but she’s got those answers down! 

We are a whole gang of green shirts with a red truck set up for the kids club, but few kids sprinkle the blue tarp. We almost out number them. But when I see how Rewan waits for us each week and soaks up the words we share, I remember each one is precious.  

On the 13th birthday of my Arab student, I realized that I as the non-dancer of my family was teaching an Arab how to dance! I laugh as now I try to learn what I once considered irrelevant recreational activity because living life with others means many things. 


When things are going well and I begin to gloat, I quickly rediscover humility in weakness. I can’t bring change or open doors but for today I will rejoice in those graciously gifted to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment