Wednesday, September 9, 2015

The Start of Something New

Here is a little snippet of my life since leaving the States about two weeks ago.

A 12 hour layover in Frankfurt, Germany with a highlight being finding a nice grassy spot to take a nap in after not getting much sleep on the overnight flight. 

Welcome to my city!

The first few days were difficult for a couple of reasons: jet lag, wondering what on earth I was doing here, and this copy machine. I spent 12 hours from 3:30pm to 3:30am on Saturday before school started helping to make copies of all the students' books, and then was at the school from 8:30am to 8:30pm Monday finishing it up. 

Done with copies, I got to move on to something that makes me happy i.e. visiting families. I have already been blessed to get to know so many families with whom I've been able to share truth stories, and I've found them open to continue.

Of course I had to continue the tradition of cookies for my neighbors

Which allowed me to meet a bunch of girls on my block

We planned a birthday celebration for my roommate in which I burnt the brownies. They were still edible you just couldn't bite through them with your front teeth.  

Not liking to waste food, I just poured some milk on top of them and the neighborhood kids thoroughly enjoyed sopping up the milk and sucking on their brownie rocks.  

 More than just those pictured came (it's easy to collect a swarm) and the brownies were finished!

Here is a refugee children's program I help with on Saturdays at the local church. 

 Here are my students enjoying crafts with a short term team from Egypt!


My Arabic reading and writing is improving immensely as I never spent much time on it, but now am being pushed to stay a step ahead of my students. Except for occasionally writing in the wrong direction, it's going pretty good. 

Here is some landscape with my school in the background. 

 Two weeks in and though I don't see the whole picture I can say I am Rejoicing Still and looking forwarding to seeing the work the Father will bring about in me and in this city over the next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment