I was young
Every day came out the sun
Smiling I breathed
I felt I was free
At the age fourteen
I was married off to a man
Too much I didn’t understand
Rules were given
Walls were closing in
My tears were shed
Mind racing for an opening
I clenched my fist
Life would go on
I pushed and prodded
All came tumbling down
I tried to make it better
Reaching out meant a sudden pain
This blow came too soon
I wasn’t fully on my feet
I wanted to cry
The tears had all been spent
Wondering, exploring, vanished
My mind slowed and shut down
In my heart was a tremor
I feared my protector
Would he see, hear, or sense
Everything seemed forbidden
I couldn’t keep track
I had no power to persuade
I retreated and gave up
Breathing itself became a chore
Little excites the mind
Rarely is the heart stirred
It’s less painful that way
Waking no longer had purpose
Many loved me
But only one voice I could hear
So there was a world to fear
Fear kept me from knowing the world
So I consigned my self
To something I could control
Would you like some tea?
Sugar? one spoon or two?
(A poem written when I came to feel for my friends suffering abuse)
No comments:
Post a Comment