Monday, September 26, 2011

I can't do it alone

I have a 16 year old friend at the fellowship I attend who flips open my bilingual Word to the right page when the speaker says something I can't understand. The pre-K teacher is helping me learn my alphabet. I have people meeting me in places that are inconvenient for themselves; because, they know I would never be able to find the way on my own. There are people on the tram and micro bus telling me where to get off. Even people at the grocery store, help by telling me prices in English. How about the elderly lady who lives below me? When I went to her house to get some local recipes, she just decided to show me how to cook a couple and then sent me back up to my apartment with bowls of it to try.

In realizing that I can't do it alone, I am thankful for the reality that I am not in it alone. This past week being my second week here was particularly full with friends and fellowship. Yesterday, I received an email from someone back home that they had been particularly praying that I would not be lonely! How amazing to think that many of my interactions must have been an answer to this prayer, and I know there are many more like it ascending.
I am not in this alone not only because family and friends back home have shown themselves to be invested, but even more so because my Father is here.

How to reach out in more and more specific ways has been a burden upon me, so I couldn't keep it to myself any longer. I know He will hear the petitions of his people. Please pray that over the next couple of weeks as I explore new opportunities that doors would open to the community and that the door to my flat would also be opened to an English study of the Word with locals.


 Life here is a mix of old and new
 This girl has the best business like handshake ever
 The pre-K I am at on Mondays
 2 of the helpers at the pre-K helping me learn my colors


 The pre-K went on a field trip to McDonalds. I must say McDonalds put on quite a show with dancing, singing, bowling, Mr. Hamburger, and a puppet show.
 Food brings people together! That elderly lady downstairs I met by bringing her some snicker doodles. She returned my plate heaped with these little cookies... so our food swap has begun!
 The co-op
 They named themselves my "little sisters" since they knew that my sisters back home are taller then me. The one on the right is that 16 year old girl who opens the Word for me. She has great English, and I've enjoyed a couple of deeper conversations with her.
Lunch with the older sister and mom. They are quite generous in welcoming me to their house at "any" time.

 
My English class! I enjoy teaching them sooo much.

No comments:

Post a Comment