Sunday, November 1, 2020

The Loss of an Identity

Who are you? And in what order do you hold to your set of identities? 

A Christian

A homeschooler

A Campbell girl

An American

A Presbyterian

A mis....

How about when everything that's ever shaped your identity changes does it change who you are?

When you no longer live around any Christians.

When you become a public school teacher.

When your sisters have changed their last names.

When your passport is American but the country you live in, the culture you've taken on, and others suspicions about you are altogether other.

When there is no church in your city much less that denomination.

When it's illegal to be one of those "M" things.


We often like the ways of those who have fed us, dressed us, encouraged us, held us, and befriended us but what happens when your own fail to meet these needs but others different from your identity rise to the occasion? 

Do you remain forever somehow separate from these "others" or do you just enjoy the bond of humanity somehow trusting God's unfathomable wisdom in the day off division. 

In 5, 8, or 20 more years when everything about my perceivable identity has changed and deep within in my hearts runs the refrain "Jesus loves me this I know." 

On what side will I be grouped on that fated day when I have become one with the people on whose behalf I have begged for mercy and whom I strive to love with the great love demonstrated in Jesus?   

No comments:

Post a Comment