Saturday, March 21, 2020

What kind of life is He asking for?



Proverbs 16:1
“To humans belong the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue.”

I liked that verse in my quiet time. I felt peace that God would give me the right answer. I liked it, that is until later in the day when He seemed to be putting an answer on my tongue opposed to the inclinations of my heart.

Staying at home more during this time of Corona virus, I sat telling my mom that we will all be fine during this time if all of the “haves” share a little with the “have nots.” Then, I thought of how many “have nots” don’t have relationship with the “haves.” Likewise, many of the “haves” don’t have relationships with “have nots.” I was particularly thinking of my fellow Americans.

Then it happened, 2 competing phones calls came through both refugee families abroad asking for financial help. One family needed a surgery for her daughter the other didn’t have a half dinar for that day’s bread. My heart rather than moved by compassion or the noble words I had earlier shared with my mom began planning its list of 10+ reasons why I did not need to give.

Several years ago, I had taught the son of the family who needed bread. I taught him to add, subtract, multiply, read Arabic and English. I had spent my time, energy, some of my LIFE for that child. Would his family really ask me for MY money too? Would God also really ask more from me?

The truth confronted me as I looked around at all the comforts of my home and as my mom brought in more bags and bags of groceries. The stores here may have been emptied of their bread, but there is no question of whether I will eat today.

Our, as in my family’s, social group may not be so affected by COVID-19 while it seems my personal social circle who tend to be in need on a good day will undoubtedly face difficulties during this economic downturn. Convenience or conviction could lead one to pull a finger back in order to let a little go to aid to one or two, but fear hits the gut when you begin thinking how about if more and more ask surely I can’t help them all.

Isn’t it better to somehow close our ears, shut our eyes, and block off our hearts before all the problems hit us? In too many ways, I feel I have successfully done that too many times before. So, is there hope a merciful and compassionate God could awaken some mercy and compassion in me?

Why don’t I feel for these families? Shouldn’t I? Isn’t that what it would mean to love my neighbor as myself as Jesus taught? Why does the answer God seems to be putting on my tongue to these families have to feel like unwilling obedience?

Don't I know my Father above owns the cattle on a thousand hills (Ps 50:10). Don't I know the one area God has asked me to test Him in is generosity to see if He would not open the floodgates of heaven to provide (Mal 3:10). I know He has a hundred ways to bless me, and I’ve seen many of those ways on countless occasions.

Your answer Father be the answer on my lips and pull my heart along.

How glad I was that the Western Union check was already on its way when I read:

Proverbs 21:13- “Whoever shuts their ears to the cry of the poor will also cry out and not be answered.”

Dear God, thank you, for not giving up on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment