Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Slipped Away

The sun slips down towards the horizon. I fling back the curtains and slide open the windows.
The neighbors have already moved to sitting outdoors. The young guys head down the street to the road side coffee and hukka cafes.
The concrete apartment that became an oven during the day begins to breathe again; though, the fan is still pushing around the hot air.
It's the same sights. It's the same routines. Meral on her roof, soon to be followed by her father in his galabeya carrying his floor cushion, and then well after midnight will be her older brother sitting or pacing the same space.
A relative dies, so my student cancels the lesson and I am left with time to contemplate the meaning of it all. Doesn't everyone? What answers do they come to? Or do they drown out the questions before they can give birth to more?
I left my house and the talk of the town reached my ears. It wasn't any kind of death. Suicide.
It won't be just me wondering tonight.
The whole town must wrestle with the value of a life.



However, I consider my life worth nothing to me; my only aim is to finish the race and complete the task the Lord Jesus has given me—the task of testifying to the good news of God’s grace.
Acts 20:24

No comments:

Post a Comment