Thursday, January 14, 2016

With Your Wife

I was with your wife today. I woke her when I came to your home at 1pm. She had a terrible headache from the awful fight with you the night before and the many tears that were shed. I spent the next 7 hours with your 2 kids while she slept. The pressure of you telling her to leave and not be there when you get home caused an anxiety that manifested itself as a sharp pain in her stomach. I held your baby girl. I played ball with your young son. I ran my fingers through your wife’s hair. All day she slept there were no tears left to cry. The little boy pretended not to notice, but when I asked your wife if you had hit her he jumped up in your defense this fight had led to no blows and I sighed relief.

I was with your wife today. She was sitting on my sofa and there was no end to the words, tears, or questions. “Why did it have to end this way? Was it really over? What did I do wrong? What should I have done? What can I do now? My 39th birthday I was so happy because I was finally married. Now, I’ve turned 40 and am in the middle of a divorce.” What was I to say? I didn’t even know you, but had you done right by her? What kind of promise did you make that it could run out so quickly? Where are you now while I am wrapping my arms around her?

I was with your wife today. She says she has a hard time remembering, but maybe she’s trying to forget. How many times did you hit her today? Maybe she can take it, but watching you beat her 7 children is more than she can bear. Hope has left her face. What will become of the one on the way? I prayed for her, and hugged her tight before I left.

I was with your wife today. She plugged in the heater just for me and brought out bread and lettuce sharing the only bits of food in the house. She lit up despite the burden on her heart, and I held her hand. She responds to “How are you?” with “What can I say?” Twenty years ago she met you on the street, told you she liked you, and the two of you fell in love. Now, the back of the house has been given to wife number two and wife number three lives upstairs while you come to her once or twice a week for her to serve you something from the lean-to made into a kitchen.

I was with your wife today. I told her I loved her. She told me how you forgot your key. Coming home in the middle of the night from work you pounded on the door, but she had fallen fast asleep. When she finally woke, she should have left the door closed for when she let in you; you let out your wrath pounding her in place of the door. Who is she in your eyes? Who do you want her to be?

I was with your wife today . . . .

Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her - Eph. 5:25

No comments:

Post a Comment