Thursday, April 28, 2022

Is this micro or macro Economics?

 Economics was my favorite class in college, but its principles only serve to plague me now. I come from a culture where success is directly correlated to productivity, and productivity can be measured by definite numbers. 
I graduated and moved into a line of work that cannot even be classified as "work". I do this non-work in a culture that has little value for productivity but a great value for relationships. A term which may be mentioned in business administration but is never mentioned in economics. 
On the days I'm feeling well, I wouldn't dream of changing what I do for the missed opportunity would seem too great, particularly considering the scarcity of those in my line of non-work.  
But on other days when I'm feeling like a bear in a bull market I begin counting the opportunity cost of these life decisions I've made.
There is no gross profit for me to calculate here. When I was young I seemed to outrun inflation, now I feel a little deflated. Considering my upbringing, education, abilities, and strengths I wonder am I where my comparative advantage lies? 
Where is the division of labor? If I had more defined responsibilities, would I finally be able to complete something? I have a monopoly or with Peter a duopoly but it does no good if the people don't see a marginal utility
Where is the principle of elasticity of demand? Where is the demand increase being that what I have to offer is free
Am I trying to supply something where there is no demand
I have no absolute advantage because I can't produce anything. I am but a voice crying in the desert to be silenced once the dust covers me again. Why do evils like competition still play in the human heart when everything you do has nothing to do with every economic term in the book? 
Go ahead, price my assets, what total will they come to? Should I build a bigger barn? 
I want a yearly growth rate, and performance feedback but can I outwait my current demands to one day be contented by "Well done my good and faithful servant"?

No comments:

Post a Comment