Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Mediocre

It is well past time to return to this blog. The faithfulness of God each and everyday amazes me, and it keeps bubbling up until it finally bursts forth.

 Recently, in reading The Freedom of Self-Forgetfulness by Timothy Keller, I discovered a similarity between Madonna and myself through a quote from her.
"My drive in life comes from a fear of being mediocre. That is always pushing me. I push past one spell of it and discover myself as a special human being but then I feel I am still mediocre and uninteresting unless I do something else. Because even though I have become somebody, I still have to prove that I am somebody. My struggle has never ended and I guess it never will."

"We don't normally go around thinking how wonderful our toes are feeling... unless previously there has been something wrong with them." A part of the body draws attention to itself when something is wrong with it. "The ego often hurts. That is because there is something incredibly wrong with it." -Timothy Keller

"The essence of gospel-humility not thinking more of myself or thinking less of myself, it it thinking of myself less." C.S. Lewis

My students have a way of keeping me happy and humble. The kids earn tickets through good behavior and homework, and today, at our classroom store one boy asks how much he can buy me for... haha. I told him 105 tickets, and I instantly wanted to know what my 3rd grade student would do with his teacher if he bought her. I didn't have long to wait these were the offers that came in from around the class.
"I'd burn you."
I'd take you home and have you clean my room."
"Oh, Miss Campbell, I'd buy you and give you a shopping card. You're worth more than a million tickets."
"Miss Campbell, you're priceless!"

Laughter the best medicine for an ailing ego. They do their best to keep me balanced ;)

I want to start enjoying things that are not about me and start seeing people the way God is creating them to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment